Physical, occupational and speech therapists work within our classrooms providing intensive individual, small group and consultative services in order to meet the diverse needs of our learners. Services are integrated into classroom routines as much as possible to maximize the student’s potential in all areas. Students whose sensory, attention and movement needs are best met outside the classroom setting have access to one of our many therapeutic spaces.
Our twelve occupational therapists, twelve physical therapists and eight speech-language pathologists as well as our licensed therapy assistants emphasize maximizing each student’s potential through the use of creative, meaningful activities that are aligned with their educational curriculum. The specific needs of each individual are met through adaptations and modifications of tasks and the use of assistive technology to support learning, communication, and motor development.
Our therapists strive to support the advancement of our students in developmental, pre-academic, academic, social, pre-vocational and vocational skills, and to promote the ability to function safely and independently in the home, school and community. Collaboration between therapists is carried out on an ongoing basis through co-treatment of students and combined therapy groups that focus on the development of social thinking, motor, leisure, and life skills. Therapists in each department meet on a regular basis to provide peer support, to research and share best practices, and to participate in professional learning communities.
- Sensory motor abilities
- Fine motor/arm and hand skills, tool use
- Feeding, oral motor skills
- Daily living skills
- Sensory programming including sensory diets, sensory exploration
- Visual perceptual motor
- Written expression: Handwriting/keyboarding
- Use of Adaptive equipment, low technology
- Computer skills
- Pre-vocational and vocational skills
Speech & Language Pathology
- Augmentative and alternative communication
- Assistive technology
- Receptive language development
- Expressive language development
- Intelligibility and speech sound productions skills
- Social communication skills
- Consultation regarding the language foundations of reading and writing