“You cannot educate an unhealthy child”
~ Dr. M. Joycelyn Elders
Northshore Education Consortium employs 16 Registered Nurses who play a pivotal role to students within our five school programs by directly supporting the educational goals and Individual Health Care Plans. School nurses deliver care in a manner that promotes and preserves the student, family and community, student autonomy, dignity and rights.
School nurses advocate on behalf of student’s needs and are an integral member of the educational team.
In all of our programs, services are delivered in partnership with the student, student’s families and physicians, and include:
- Asthma and Allergy Assessment and Management.
- Behavioral, Emotional and Psychiatric Health Support
- DESE/DPH Mandated Screenings and Immunization Surveys
- Diabetes Management
- Emergency and Crisis Planning
- EpiPen Training and Management
- Health Assessments
- Health Promotion and Wellness
- Individual Health Care Plans
- Impaired Assessments
- Emergency Plans Individualized
- Medication Administration Plans
- Seizure Management
- Well and Sick Student Visits/ First Aid
Interventions & Treatments
In our programs for medically involved students nursing interventions and treatments in the school setting may also include:
- Catheterizations: Clean Intermittent Catheterizations (CIT)
- Chest Physiotherapy (CPT)
- Enteral feedings/Gastrostomy Care/Jejunostomy Care (G-Tubes, G-J Tubes)
- Medication Administration
- Oral Suctioning and Nasopharyngeal Suctioning
- Pain Assessment
- Tracheotomy Care and Management
- Seizure Management
- Vagus Nerve Stimulator Care (VNS)
NEC Nurses work closely with our consulting physicians.
Dr. Stephen D. Kanarek, MD, President Managing Physician
North Shore Medical Center, Peabdoy, MA
Dr. Stephen D. Kanarek, MD serves as our School Physician. Dr. Kanarek specializes in Pediatric Primary Care and is affiliated with North Shore Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital.
North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA
Dr. Prince consults regularly to clinical staff at the Northshore Academy Upper and Lower Schools.
Seasonal Influenza/flu Pandemic
Health Promotion/ Nutrition
Health Promotion/ Physical Education and Activity
EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis)
“Health does not start in the doctor’s office, but instead takes shape where we live, learn, work and play”
~ James Marks, MD MPH, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.