“You cannot educate an unhealthy child”
~ Dr. M. Joycelyn Elders
Northshore Education Consortium employs 16 Registered Nurses who play a pivotal role to students within our five school programs by directly supporting the educational goals and Individual Health Care Plans. School nurses deliver care in a manner that promotes and preserves the student, family and community, student autonomy, dignity and rights.
School nurses advocate on behalf of student’s needs and are an integral member of the educational team.
In all of our programs, services are delivered in partnership with the student, student’s families and physicians, and include:
- Asthma and Allergy Assessment and Management.
- Behavioral, Emotional and Psychiatric Health Support
- DESE/DPH Mandated Screenings and Immunization Surveys
- Diabetes Management
- Emergency and Crisis Planning
- EpiPen Training and Management
- Health Assessments
- Health Promotion and Wellness
- Individual Health Care Plans
- Impaired Assessments
- Emergency Plans Individualized
- Medication Administration Plans
- Seizure Management
- Well and Sick Student Visits/ First Aid
Interventions & Treatments
In our programs for medically involved students nursing interventions and treatments in the school setting may also include:
- Catheterizations: Clean Intermittent Catheterizations (CIT)
- Chest Physiotherapy (CPT)
- Enteral feedings/Gastrostomy Care/Jejunostomy Care (G-Tubes, G-J Tubes)
- Medication Administration
- Oral Suctioning and Nasopharyngeal Suctioning
- Pain Assessment
- Tracheotomy Care and Management
- Seizure Management
- Vagus Nerve Stimulator Care (VNS)
NEC Nurses work closely with our consulting physicians.
Dr. Bailey serves as our School Physician. He has served as the Chair of Pediatrics at MassGeneral for Children, North Shore Medical Center. Dr. Bailey is a frequent visitor to the Kevin O’Grady School, and is closely involved with many of our students and their families. Dr. Bailey currently practices in a private pediatric office on the Northshore.
North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA
Dr. Prince consults regularly to clinical staff at the Northshore Academy Upper and Lower Schools.
Seasonal Influenza/flu Pandemic
Health Promotion/ Nutrition
Health Promotion/ Physical Education and Activity
EEE (Eastern Equine Encephalitis)
“Health does not start in the doctor’s office, but instead takes shape where we live, learn, work and play”
~ James Marks, MD MPH, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.