“You cannot educate an unhealthy child”
~ Dr. M. Joycelyn Elders
Northshore Education Consortium employs 16 Registered Nurses who play a pivotal role to students within our five school programs by directly supporting the educational goals and Individual Health Care Plans. School nurses deliver care in a manner that promotes and preserves the student, family and community, student autonomy, dignity and rights.
School nurses advocate on behalf of student’s needs and are an integral member of the educational team.
In all of our programs, services are delivered in partnership with the student, student’s families and physicians, and include:
- Asthma and Allergy Assessment and Management
- Behavioral, Emotional and Psychiatric Health Support
- Blood Glucose Monitoring and Insulin Administration
- DESE/DPH Mandated Screenings and Immunization surveys
- Emergency and Crisis Planning
- EpiPen Training and Management
- Health Promotion and Wellness
- Individual Health Care Plans
- Medication Administration
- Seizure Management
- Well and Sick student visits/ first aid
Interventions & Treatments
In our programs for medically involved students nursing interventions and treatments in the school setting may also include:
- Catheterizations/ mitrofanoff stoma
- Chest Physiotherapy (CPT)
- Enteral feedings/Gastrostomy care
- Oral Pharyngeal and Nasal Suctioning
- Tracheotomy Care and Management
- Vagus Nerve Stimulator Care (VNS)
NEC Nurses work closely with our consulting physicians.
MassGeneral for Children, North Shore Medical Center, Salem MA
Dr. Bailey serves as our School Physician. He is a frequent visitor to the Kevin O’Grady School, and is closely involved with many of our students and their families. Dr. Bailey supports staff professional development, offer parent education, and is an essential member of the school wellness committee.
North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA
Dr. Prince consults regularly to clinical and nursing staff at the Kevin O’Grady School as well as Northshore Academy Upper and Lower Schools.
Preteen Vaccination Information
“Health does not start in the doctor’s office, but instead takes shape where we live, learn, work and play”
~ James Marks, MD MPH, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.